Thursday, February 10, 2011

Norms

Even though I do not attend classes on campus I can reasonably assume that norms do exist on some level. Academic norms put into place by the institution are to be followed in terms of performance and procedure. These norms can affect your place within the ranks of achievement in this group. There would almost certainly be norms within the student population that would revolve around groups of individuals that share common interests. For instance the same norms may or may not be found within two different groups if individuals, so the group itself finds its foundation built on norms established with one another.
In my social group there are most certainly norms. Given that I work with elementary school children there is an implicit norm of caring for and having a desire to help children succeed.
My social group also has the implicit norm of demonstrating appropriate behavior and dress code. (Behavior in terms of language and attitude). However my social group that extends outside of my work environment does not hold the same set of implicit norms in terms of our behavior.
The largest peripheral norm within my group would be the ability to not jump to dramatic conclusions with each other that may result in conflict.
For example we try to fully understand each other and the statements we may make before we get upset with each other. Any of our norms can be identified easily because we are very blunt and honest with each other and quickly share our likes and dislikes and share the desire to remember these things about one another to keep the group functioning well.  

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post and I can relate to not taking campus classes at the moment yet still being aware of SJSU norms. The norm that you mentioned for the job that you have is definitely a well recognized norm for any job that involves working with children. I work in a health care setting and the norm that I have recognized amongst all of my co-workers is having compassion for others. I see patients every day that are suffering from cancer, HIV and AIDS, as well as many other illnesses so having compassion is a huge part of the job. If I were unable to recognize the norm of being compassionate I would have probably lost my job by now.

    ReplyDelete