Saturday, February 19, 2011
White Men of Privilege
I agree that this concept exists especially since I have seen it firsthand, but I do not agree with it at all. I think that it should be referred to as "People of privilege" because I have seen it with many cultures/ethnicities not just European Americans. The concept means that being a person with connections (familial or other) have a more likely opportunity to gain something over a person without connections or limited resources. In my personal life I have some into contact with many people that live a life or privilege. I have friends and family that depend on their close and extended family to bail them out of life's situations constantly. I think there is nothing wrong with family helping each other out once and a while especially when you are younger (for instance in college or just entering the workforce) but to be an adult not in school with children or other dependents and still taking large lifestyle contributions from your family is irresponsible. I also have people in my professional life that held the same title as many of us in the workplace but because a parent works within the company they have special jobs created for them, or they are not subject to the same rules of fraternization (etc). All in all privilege does exist within our society, but the power that we give to these people resonates in ourselves. I cannot hold my life to the same standard of another. If I did this I would have tremendous disappointment in my life because as they say "The grass is always greener on the other side".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teddy Times, I like the way you say you agree that it is a real thing, but that it exists with different cultures not just white. I never thought of it that way. I worked with a couple chinese women who were in management, they only hired chinese people who spoke mandarin. At the time I thought if I wanted to get to 'the top' of that company I would have to be chinese, and thought it wasn't fair.
ReplyDeleteNot that the practice is legal or ever spoken of, but I believe you are correct when you say privilege is not simply a white subject. Advantages in the workplace can often be who you know, unfortunately.