Friday, April 15, 2011
CMC vs. F2F
The textbook describes CMC communication as communication that takes place through many forms of media including video and audio based tools as well as text-based messaging capabilities. CMC communication has taken F2F communication one step further by allowing people all over the world to have instantaneous communication with one another. In my personal life I utilize many forms of CMC, but minimal interactions F2F. On a daily basis I use Facebook to talk with family and friends, and to type out little blibs of what is going on with me that streams to all of my "friends". I also use my iPhone to play social networking games with people all over the world throughout the day, and I like you am a student enrolled in online courses at San Jose State. I find that CMC communication has drastically changed my communication techniques and my interpretation of the CMC interactions. For example I constantly find myself mis-interpreting a comment, or statement made through text simply because I am not F2F with that person watching their body language and hearing the tones and nuances of their voice. All in all I think that CMC communication is great for producing effective workers, but not necessarily clear communication interpretation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really enjoyed reading your post. I have found a similar issue in mis-interpreting a text/comment/ e-mail due to not having that physical element of body language/ tone. I recently had an experience where I was supposed to go out with a friend but for some reason we both had trouble understanding what we meant through text and did not end up going out. We both felt pretty upset and sad and thought the other person just simply did not want to hang out. Turns out, we both wanted to go out but due to miscommunication through CMC, we did not end up spending time together. When we finally met up, we discussed what happened and started laughing. At this point we both agreed that next time we'd call each other rather than just text! Body language and tone are very important factors in communication and as we become more dependent of technology, we tend to lose those factors and misunderstand each other!
ReplyDelete