Friday, March 11, 2011

Inconsistencies and Interpretations in Nonverbal Communication

The text says that when our behavior is inconsistent with the things we say people are more likely to believe the behavior. For instance if I was to tell people how great my work ethic was and how much I was a team player and then went and called in sick constantly people would more than likely think I do not have a strong work ethic contrary to what I say. This is important within communication because when working with a small group one must make sure they are following through with the things they say because there are others depending on consistency. It is important to be a contributing member of the small group to effectively establish your desire to be apart of the group.
The text also says that our interpretations of group members is guided by the context and power relationships. Meaning that each individual detail about the group (social setting, size, background) influence our interpretation of events that take place. For instance I wouldn't expect a co worker to come up to me and adjust my clothes or fix an out of place hair they way I would expect a friend to, and this behavior would be interpreted as pushy or awkward where if it was a friend I would be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment