Saturday, March 12, 2011

Semantics and the Hilarity of Ambiguous Interpretations

Semantics is a concept that I am studying very closely this semester. I am also taking a non verbal communication course and the textbook has semiotics in it's title, so I am learning quite a bit about it. The text states that semiotics is divided into three principles. The first principle being that meanings are in people not in words makes me think of texting, and how translations are lost on people. A simple meaningless text can be interpreted as being rude, or coming across in a manner that is not consistent with what may actually taking place. Second is that language itself is symbolic and words are used as representation of an item with context. The text uses grades as an example and how they show achievement within our lives. Third language conveys meanings of observations, inferences and judgements. Meaning that judgements are concluded upon based upon facts given.

The table on page 96 in the textbook was awesome to read and to share. I read it and laughed and laughed. Then I took the book around my work and read it to other people and received many different reactions. Most people laughed with me, but some people simply didn't understand what was funny, and after I explained to them what was comical they stated something along the lines of  "you are reading too much into it", but the idea of something being lost in translation is real and has meaning within communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment