The text describes selective attention as one of the four components of listening. Selective listening is when one message is chosen over another. There are a few reasons one engages in selective listening.
1. Some things are more important than others.
2. We are more likely to listen when the content supports our point of view.
3. Messages contradicting what we believe are likely to be rejected.
4. Expertise or understanding can decrease interest in other viewpoints.
5. Difficult material may be ignored.
For example just earlier this month my co-workers and I had a meeting with all of our fellow campuses to hold a staff meeting. Now in just the time I have worked there I have attended five of these meetings, and they are all exactly the same. The same boring PowerPoint, the same boring lectures, the same boring snacks, the same boring location. Quarter after quarter, year after year the same boring meeting. When I attend these meetings I usually zone out on whatever else I have going on. I usually sneak use of my iPhone during the really boring parts. This meeting was set to have new fun speakers and activities, so I showed up ready to be wowed, and found myself hearing and seeing the same things all over again. The was I overcame my selective listening was to step away from the group and go to the ladies room. I washed my hands and took a deep breath and prepared myself to go back and engage myself in the communication. When I went back in I sat up and focused on the speakers, and followed along. I knew the information but I still listened. Once the meeting was over I actually had gleaned some information that would be useful in my day to day work habits, so in actuality there was some new fun stuff, but I was too busy being negative Nancy to realize at first. Once I recognized my lack of interest and made the attempt to change my actions I started to benefit from the meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment