Saturday, April 16, 2011
Group size,Proximity and Anonymity
The effects that these concepts have on CMC communication are simple, but important. First group size effects CMC communication within groups in a positive way. The textbook explains that larger CMC groups produce more ideas from individual members than small CMC groups do. Proximity effects CMC communication by maintaining awareness of ones personal and social identities. The textbook references people being in the same room with one another, but only being able to communicate using CMC. And lastly anonymity effects CMC communication by being able to increase participation from members by giving privacy. I personally feel that CMC has a unique ability to make people feel and project the individual we want others to see. For example social networking sites allow people to create a page that show people just who they are, but in reality all it does is provide people with the ability to "create" who they are. A person's facebook page is just a presentation they have created to put the best part of themselves on display leaving behind all of the real world things that truly shape who you are. So in summary the ability to be anonymous within CMC communication increases ones ability to say what they want and not feel social pressure to conform.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoyed reading your post! I liked how you mentioned that profile pages gives people the ability to present their best selves. I also have to mention how too much control can cause a problem. Identity theft has been a problem ever since credit cards have been invented and with the invention of social networking sites, thieves have also come online looking for potential targets. Easy targets are the one who display full profile pages containing every single aspect of their lives. I agree that CMC has changed our lives for the better but we must take caution not to disclose personal and sensitive information. Facebook has even gone under fire for their privacy issues but we as the users must also take responsibility for our own actions.
ReplyDeleteEven though I dont have a facebook or anything like that I do agree that those types of social networks like facebook my space and other social networks allow a person to show other people who they are and allows them to share their interest with other people. I also agree that Anonymity is useful because it allows someone to state their opinion with out having to state who they are. A lot of people would participate more with in groups if their comments where anoyomous. Because a lot of people like to avoid confrontation with their group members. which is understandable
ReplyDelete