One concept that I found interesting from the text is the concept of Reward-Punishment Power. The textbook describes this concept as the ability to praise or humiliate fellow group members, and that we all possess this power. The text continues by saying that we usually associate this power with materialistic affect like financial rewards or punishments. When participation in groups is based on regard for reward and punishment power an effective group process may be sacrificed.
In my personal life I find that this concept comes into play more than I may know. I think that my most recent experience with this concept was just a few days ago when my boss had left a note for my entire work team that reinstated the dress code expectations and when I said something to the extent of "the note doesn't really surprise me considering the way some people dress around here" to a close friend/co-worker and their reply was, " Oh well that's like the pot calling the kettle black"! Now for arguments sake I do not dress out of expectation ever, and I mean ever, so this comment was not only hurtful, but unnecessary and just aimed at causing emotional discomfort.
I kind of know what you mean I remember one semester I braided this girls hair who work at costco and i put a few red braids in her hair. The next day she called me and told me that her boss told her she could have red in her hair. I was like well Costcos colors are red. Anyway her boos gave her the money for me to fix her hair. However I still think that he was very inconsiderate because braids hurt and i had to re- braid her hair the next day. I hate dress codes they really suck.
ReplyDelete