Saturday, March 5, 2011
Assumptions and Stereotypes
Chapter five discussed the concept of assumptions and stereotypes in great detail. What I found most interesting is the belief that we learn our automatic and perceptual responses to our surroundings from those who nurture and care for us. I agree with this concept because while I work with children I see first hand how their parents play a huge role in their social development. I see things such as children that believe because they are vegetarians that the people who do are "evil", and children who will mock fast food workers. The flip side is the children who have a good grasp on the world and make decisions based on their limited experience, but non the less develop their own interpretations of their world. I agree with the text about stereotypes being damaging and perpetuates myths about people and cultures. By perpetuating the stereotypes we limit the multi faceted perspective of those around us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree I also work with kids and they often say things that shock me. It basically is letting me know how they are raising their kids and what they are telling them about different people. I recently had a boy ask me if I was from africa because i was black and his mom told him that people who sound and look like me are either from Africa or Jamaica. I was like wow why would even tell someone anything like that. However, I was not mad at the boy for saying it I was mad at his mom for being a horrible role model to her son.
ReplyDelete