Chapter 14 states that there are four ways of obtaining feedback that can help to improve a groups future success. The first is by reading about groups and teams, but this offers no practical experience. The second method is to participate in a small group, and although we will learn through experience we may be limited in our evaluating abilities because of our engagement in the activities. The third is to obtain an external evaluation and advisement because it can be a useful addition as long as the observer is well equipped to provide effective feedback. The last source of gaining valuable insight into your group is through personal reflection and analysis. The text suggests a combination of all of these four techniques to provide the most comprehensive view for a thorough and beneficial evaluation.
I think these techniques are definitely beneficial and if followed through with you can ensure that the group is getting a non biased observation and that there is no distractions taking place and crucial information is not being overlooked as a result. In my own small group experiences I find that when I am involved in the group process there is unavoidable distractions and unconscious biases that may manifest, and by having a third party give an interpretation that has no inside influence or personal baggage is more beneficial to the further success of the observed group.
Hey there. You did a really good job on your post for this weeks discussion. You discussed observer feedback very well. I thought that the steps you provided from the book really explained what observer feedback is. Like you, I agree that this type of feedback is definitely beneficial. After reading about this type of feedback I thought of some instances in some of my previous groups where observer feedback would be very beneficial. I have had many great group experiences and some unpleasant ones. Observer feedback on some of the unpleasant group experiences would have helped to make the experience better.
ReplyDelete