The concept of Proxemics is used in communication to study how we use space while we communicate. Everything from sitting and standing while speaking with someone to seating arrangements. Different seating positions are described as power spots. The dominant position is at the ends of rectangular tables. When I was growing up this seat was always reserved for the grownups (the head of the table), and now that I am an adult I seek this spot out whenever I get a chance because I know I will be able to see everyone and make eye contact without sitting in an uncomfortable position.
Chronemics is the study of the use of time within communication. This concept studies promptness and whether or not it is largely important to the group. In Western culture time is important and is seen as "time = money", but I have seen many American people act careless to their punctuality. I have also seen other cultures display a lack of concern for time frames, and it is typical for their cultural upbringing. I have a Vietnamese friend that was horrible at being on time or following his own time constraints that we started using the term "Ken time". As in how long did he say he was going to be? Twenty minutes? OK that's an hour in Ken time. We compensated for his lack of time concern to help the function of our group.
What a hilarious example when you mentioned "Ken time". I think everyone has that one friend that is always late or says a certain time but then arrives 15 minutes later. This might be ok in friendly and social settings but in terms of business and professionality, punctuality is important. I also liked how you mentioned that you always try to seek out the spot at the head of the table. I never really thought about sitting position and location at the table as a status symbol but after reading the chapter and your input, I see now why the head table is the most desirable spot- especially if you are the host. A good host should be able to view everyone at the table just to make sure that everyone is taken care of.
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought up seating position and how the person at the head of the table is dominant. In my family, my dad has always sat there, so it has become the norm for me. I never thought of it in different terms because to me it was simply dad’s spot. But now I can see the interpretation behind this placement and the perks that come with it. I can also relate to you and your friend Ken. I have had my share of friends and meetings that run beyond a courteous timeframe. I know I have been late myself and it is always embarrassing. I have also had Filipino friends tell me that the friends and families in their culture run late all the time, so I am curious as to why that is. Perhaps it has to do with the different pace of lifestyle in Asian cultures and Western cultures.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you brought up power positions. When i dine with my family no one really cares where we sit, but as a youngster i remember my older brother telling me not to sit there because that was "his" seat. Before your post and this chapter i always made up my own reasoning for power positions regarding seating arrangements. i thought maybe you get a better view from that seat, closer to the vent so it might be warmer, or closest to the corn at the table. i dont like the idea of being so tied closely with the clock, like it rules our being.
ReplyDelete