Saturday, March 26, 2011

Memory and Messages

I found this concept interesting because I personally have difficulty with my memory. The textbook sates that everyone in good mental health has two types of memory: Short term and long term memory. Short term memory is our working memory that lasts from one to sixty seconds. During this small window of time our mind decides if the incoming message should be preserved or dismissed. Short term memory faces the challenge of external and internal noise competing for position. Long term memory however is a place that requires granted access. The text says that often times we hear something several times before it is granted entry into our long term memory. My memory problem is not being able to quickly gain access to long term memory, but in retrospect it may just be that my short term memory had too much external or internal noise, and the complete messages have never made their way in so I has scattered bits of information stored in my long term memory.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I would just like to add my own example of how something gets engraved onto your long-term memory: a favorite song. Often times you sing along to your favorite mp3 track and after repeating it and hearing it so much, you pretty soon memorize the whole song. I can also relate to the chapter about memory. I even attended a seminar on how to memorize names. The seminar instructed to repeat the person’s name twice upon meeting them to ensure that you remember their name. Another method is to associate their name with an object and use that image to identify their name.

    ReplyDelete